11.55am – 1pm
Panel Discussion: Institutional Elitism – Access to Art & Design Education
- Shelly Asquith, President-Elect of the Student Union, University of the Arts London
- Jess Draper, PhD Student, The Ruskin School of Drawing & Fine Art
- Neil Griffiths, Founder, Arts Emergency
- Aisha Richards, Founder, Shades of Noir, University of the Arts London
- Chair: Osei Bonsu, Student, BA Criticism, Communication and Curation
Art schools are often recognised as being diverse institutions, but are they becoming more exclusive and less diverse? In the context of rising fees and frozen grants, fewer students from lower socio-economic backgrounds are applying to art school, the attainment gap for black students is growing and many are seeing academic institutions as a ‘safer’ alternative as huge cuts to the arts threaten every aspect of the industry.