Specially curated by SUARTS and LSESU as part of Islamophobia Awareness Month, Shades of Noir was recently invited to attend a private viewing of the Islamophobia Awareness exhibition on the 27th November.
Held at the Blueprint Gallery Space in the UAL building at 272 High Holborn, the exhibition features a collection of pieces submitted by Islamic Art students in UAL as a response to the ever-increasing issue of prejudice against Muslim students in the UK.
With works ranging from sculpture to photography, each piece on display was a reflection of modern life from the perspective of the Islamic community. Tackling subjects such as visibility, cultural and sexual identity, sexism as well as outside attitudes and perceptions, the collection deals with a wide range of themes with a consistent underlying spirit of raising awareness about the community, all in the hopes of breaking down the prejudice and eliminating the surrounding ‘phobia’ that exists today.
“Since Islamophobia is a fear of Islam/Muslims, my artwork shows that in order to get rid of that fear and feel more comfortable around this situation you should gain more knowledge about it and start opening the doors that you closed in order to get some sense of clarity.” —Mushada Behum Raquib
– Zainab Noukhas (LCC, Foundation Art and Design)
– Latifah Al-Said (Central Saint Martin’s, BA Graphic Design Student, Year 3. Illustration Pathway)
– Raisa Kabir (Chelsea College of Arts, BA Textile Design)
– Jina Bilkhu (Central Saint Martin’s, Foundation Art and Design)
– Anusheh Siddiqui (Central Saint Martin’s, BA Fine Art, Year 1)
– Malak Kabbani (London College of Fashion, BA Fashion Styling and Photography, Year 2)
– Elena Barroso Sanz (Camberwell College of Art & design, FDA Illustration)
– Mushada Begum Raquib (Camberwell College of Arts, Foundation Course in Art and Design)
– Bharat Choudhary
– Muna Ally (London College of Communication)
The exhibition runs until the 3rd November 2013 in the Blueprint Gallery Space at University of the Arts London, 272 High Holborn, WC1 7EY.